Spicy Cauliflower and Chickpea Bowl
This bowl is hearty and spicy- my kinda meal! I love it super spicy but if you prefer less spice, or a completely mild version be sure to check out the recipes notes.
For the cauliflower and chickpeas:
- 1/2 head(s) cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 19oz can(s) chickpeas (about 2 cups) drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 - 4 tablespoon(s) Sriracha (or similar hot sauce) see notes
- 1/4 cup(s) soy sauce (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon(s) agave or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) powdered ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon(s) sesame oil
- Optional additions for Spicy Cauliflower and Chickpea Bowl: peanuts, pepitas, sesame seeds, green onions, cilantro, and cooked rice or grain of choice for serving
- Preheat oven to 450F (230C).
- Spread the cauliflower and chickpeas over a large baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat. Bake for about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through until the cauliflower is fork-tender.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl or measuring cup.
- Once cauliflower and chickpeas are roasted, remove from the oven and mix with half of the prepared sauce. Return the pan to the oven and cook for another 5 - 10 minutes more, keeping a close eye on it so it doesn't burn. Divide your grain of choice among 4 bowls, then top with the cauliflower and chickpea mixture. Garnish with peanuts, green onions, and cilantro, and drizzle across extra sauce if desired.
Sriracha: I love making this recipe super spicy so I use all 4 tablespoons of Sriracha, but if you don't want your mouth to be on fire, start with 1 tablespoon and you can always add more to taste if desired. Mild version: for a completely mild version, omit the Sriracha and instead sub 1 - 4 tablespoons ketchup. Oil-free: to make oil-free simply sub the light oil for vegetable broth or water. You can omit the sesame oil. Make-ahead: let the prepared cauliflower and chickpeas cool before storing in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store the rice in a separate container in the fridge. Soy-Free: for soy-free, substitute a soy sauce for a soy-free option such as coconut aminos.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1477mg | Potassium: 676mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 58IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 5mg