Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
This hearty and comforting dish is made with tender lentils, aromatic vegetables, and a blend of savory spices, simmered to perfection in a slow cooker for a convenient and flavorful meal that practically cooks itself. I like to serve mine with crusty bread.
- 1 lb(s) dry lentils (green or brown) (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 rib(s) celery chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 sprig(s) fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup(s) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup(s) full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can)
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper or to taste
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours.
- Before serving, remove the bay leaf and sprigs of thyme and blitz with a hand blender until creamy.
Freezer instructions: To freeze lentil soup, allow it to cool, portion it into airtight containers or freezer bags, and label with the date before placing it in the freezer for up to 3-6 months. Coconut milk substitute: if you cannot use coconut milk, sub with another creamy plant-based milk such as cashew cream.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 8 servings) | Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Sodium: 804mg | Potassium: 851mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5693IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 6mg