Roasted Tomato & Garlic Pasta
Cherry tomatoes and garlic are roasted to delicious perfection then blended with tofu which makes the sauce slightly creamy while adding a boost of protein. This recipe also includes a quick homemade vegan parmesan which is optional (but highly recommended).
For the tomatoes and garlic:
- 3 cup(s) grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 6 cloves(s) garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
For the pasta:
- 10 oz spaghetti (gluten-free if preferred)
- 7 oz firm tofu drained
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh basil chopped (set aside some leaves for garnish)
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) pasta cooking water
For the parmesan (optional):
- 3/4 cup(s) roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup(s) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- Preheat your oven to 375F (190C).
- To a large baking dish add the tomatoes and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. toss to evenly coat. Roast for 20 - 25 minutes until the tomatoes are very soft.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Set aside 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water before draining.
- While those are cooking, make the vegan parmesan by adding the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt to a food processor or blender. Pulse and blend until you reach a fine crumble. Remove from the processor and set aside in a bowl.
- Set aside 1/4 of the roasted tomatoes and garlic. Add the remaining 3/4 tomatoes and garlic to the now empty food processor or blender along with the tofu, basil, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Blend until creamy. Add the reserved pasta water a bit at a time until you reach a nice sauce consistency (you might not need all the water).
- Toss the blended tomato sauce with the hot pasta. Divide among bowls and top with the remaining cherry tomatoes, basil, and a generous sprinkling of vegan parmesan.
Make-Ahead: store the prepared pasta and vegan parmesan in separate air-tight containers. The pasta can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. The vegan parmesan can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 603mg | Potassium: 647mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1018IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 4mg