Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup
This hearty warming soup is perfect for colder days. I like to roast my tomatoes myself for the best flavor, but in a pinch you can sub the tomatoes for canned fireroasted tomaotes. See notes to learn how to do this.
Servings: - 6
For the Roasted Tomatoes (see notes for sub):
- 4 lb(s) tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
For the Barley:
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked barley
For the Spicy Chickpea Croutons:
- 1 19oz can(s) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon(s) Sriracha (or similar hot sauce)
For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 clove(s) garlic
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 2 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon(s) white sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- For the tomatoes: Spread the tomatoes out on a large baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes until soft.
- For the barley: prepare the barley by placing it in a sieve and rinsing it under cold running water. Place the barley into a saucepan and cover with water until 1-inch (5cm) above the barley. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer uncovered for 35 minutes until tender and cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- For the Spicy Chickpea Croutons: Spread the chickpeas out on baking tray. Toss them with Sriracha. Place the tray into the oven and bake the chickpeas for the last 10 minutes of the tomato cooking time.
- For the Soup: When the tomatoes are done roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme leaves and sauté 1 minute more. Pour in the vegetable broth and add about 1⁄4 of the roasted tomatoes.
- Place the remaining tomatoes into a blender and blitz to smooth and pour into the soup. Add in the drained barley, chopped parsley, sugar, and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Mix well to combine, bring to a boil and turn the heat down and allow to simmer gently for 5 minutes. Serve the soup in bowls, topped with chickpea croutons.
Roasted Tomatoes: I like to roast my tomatoes fresh but if you're in a pinch, skip roasting the tomatoes and instead use 2 cans (28oz/ 794g) each of fire-roasted tomatoes. Skip step 2 in the recipe. Barley: if preferred feel free to sub barley for cooked rice (I like brown rice as it's chewier). Gluten-Free: to make gluten-free sub barley for cooked rice (I like brown rice as it's chewier). Oil-free: to make oil-free omit the oil on the tomatoes and instead place them on parchment paper or silicon baking mat when roasting them. Omit the oil when sautéing the onions and instead do a water or broth sauté.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 961mg | Potassium: 1513mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 4462IU | Vitamin C: 75mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 5mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan