Quick & Easy BBQ Tofu
The perfect addition to your summer BBQ meal. Just 6 easy ingredients and 10 minutes of grilling time are all it takes to make this tender juicy tofu that's smothered in your favorite barbecue sauce. Pair with your favorite side dishes for the perfect vegan and vegetarian-friendly summer meal. Yum!!
Servings: (makes 4 small tofu steaks)
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu drained and pressed (see step 1)
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) vegan BBQ sauce
- Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 15 to 30 minutes. I love using my Tofuture tofu press, but you can also follow these instructions for a DIY tofu pressing method. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become more flavourful.
- Prepare your grill or grill pan by making sure it is clean and warmed to medium-high heat.
- Slice the tofu block into 4 steaks at least 1/2 inch thick or thicker. Drizzle the tofu with the olive oil and rub over the tofu. Season with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper and rub into the oil.
- Place the tofu on the hot grill. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until they easily release from the grates and nice grill marks are formed. Flip the tofu and repeat on the other side.
- Brush the tofu generously with BBQ sauce flip and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Brush with more BBQ sauce before serving. Serve hot.
Serving: 1 serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 546mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 0.01mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 2mg