Old-Fashioned Sugar Cream Pie
Is there anything better to satisfy a sugar craving than sugar pie? This delectable pie has a sweet, creamy, cinnamon-swirled, custardy filling with a tender, flaky pie crust. This old-fashioned pie is a classic for a reason—it’s hands-down delicious!Excerpted from Craving Vegan by Sam Turnbull. Copyright © 2023 Sam Turnbull. Photographs by Tanya Pilgram. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Servings: (one 9-inch pie)
- 1 unbaked vegan pie crust store-bought or homemade (page 79 in Craving Vegan) (gluten-free if preferred)
For the Pie Filling:
- 3/4 cup(s) white sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) cornstarch
- 1 can (13½ fl oz/ 400 mL) full-fat coconut milk OR 1¾ cups vegan culinary cream
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon(s) vanilla extract
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup(s) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon(s) melted vegan butter
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Bake the pie crust for 10–12 minutes to partially bake it. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Make the pie filling: in a medium saucepan, whisk together the white sugar and cornstarch. Add the coconut milk and stir to combine. Dollop the butter on top (the butter will melt into the mixture as it cooks). set the saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, whisking often, until the mixture thickens, 5–10 minutes. remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla. set aside.
- Make the topping: in a small bowl, mix together the white sugar and cinnamon. set aside.
- Pour the prepared filling into the pie crust, filling it three-quarters full. drizzle on the melted butter and evenly sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. (If you have leftover filling, pour it into a container and pop in the fridge for a delicious pudding!)
- Bake for 25 minutes. The pie will be bubbling and still very liquidy. Carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack at room temperature. Once cooled, move the pie to the fridge until set, about 3 hours, or overnight is best.
Make Ahead: Store the cooled and set pie covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. To freeze, wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. it can be frozen for up to 3 months
Serving: 1 serving (recipe makes 8 servings) | Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 2g | Sodium: 149mg | Potassium: 136mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 8mg