Hearty Vegan Lentil Stew
This Hearty Vegan Lentil Stew is full of warming stick-to-your-ribs flavors that are perfect for a chilly night. Packed with carrots, celery, potatoes, peas, and lentils this rich stew is full of good-for-you veggies, that are simmered in a hearty gravy sauce made with red wine. YUM.
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 4 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 ribs celery cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 4 cup(s) vegan beefless broth mushroom broth, or vegetable broth (plus more if needed)
- 2 lbs Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup(s) uncooked green or brown lentils
- 1 cup(s) red wine (or sub with more broth if preferred)
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 cup(s) frozen peas
- fresh parsley optional for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large stew pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and satué until the onions begin to soften, 5 - 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to combine. Keep cooking while stirring for about 60 seconds. Add the vegetable broth and use your spoon to scrape any bits off of the bottom of the pan.
- Now add the potatoes, lentils, red wine, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper, and stir. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender and the lentils are cooked through. If your stew gets too thick, feel free to thin it out to your desired consistency with some extra vegetable broth.
- Lastly, stir in the peas and cook for a few minutes more to heat through. Add extra salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve hot with parsley for garnish if desired.
Oil-free: to make oil-free simply omit the oil and instead do a water or broth sauté.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 6 servings) | Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 929mg | Potassium: 1358mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 7538IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 5mg