Greek Chickpeas on Toast
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 14oz can(s) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) white or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 19oz can(s) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup(s) black olives halved
- 4 slice(s) bread (gluten-free if preferred) toasted
- 1 handful fresh parsley chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, smoked paprika, oregano, sugar, and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 - 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced a bit and the tomatoes are darker in colour.
- Add the chickpeas and black olives and cook another 2 - 5 minutes until warmed through. serve on slices of crusty bread and garnish with fresh parsley.
Oil-free: to make oil-free omit the oil and instead do a water or broth sauté. Make sure you buy olives that are packed in water or brine and not in oil.
Serving: 1serving on bread (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 876mg | Potassium: 717mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 536IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 7mg