Easy Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
The perfect party appetizer or they make a great side dish too! They look fancy but are easy to make. These savory, bite-sized, snacks are pop-ably delicious!
Servings: - 6 (makes 20 stuffed mushrooms)
- 20 button or cremini mushrooms (see step 1 for prep) (24oz/ 680g)
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup(s) vegan cream cheese (see notes)
- 1/2 cup(s) panko breadcrumbs divided (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp towel, then snap the stem off of each mushroom. Chop up the stems and set them aside. Arrange the mushroom caps, cavity side up on the prepared baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan, then add the chopped mushroom stems, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 5 - 10 minutes until the veggies soften and begin to brown.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cooked mushroom stem and onion mixture, along with the vegan cream cheese, 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the mushroom caps and place the mushrooms filling side up on the prepared baking sheet. Put the remaining 1/4 cup of panko in a small bowl and then dip each mushroom in the panko to coat the filling, and then return them to the pan. Lightly spray the tops with spray oil. Then bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot as an appetizer or side dish.
Vegan cream cheese: I use my recipe for vegan cream cheese in the stuffed mushrooms which tastes wonderful and holds up well. I've also tried store-bought vegan cream cheeses and while they are also tasty, some of them melt away quite a bit. So if you use store-bought vegan cream cheese just be aware of that. You could alternatively use a store-bought vegan mozzarella which might hold up a little better. Make Ahead: prepare the mushrooms and filling and stuff the mushrooms. Cover and store them in the fridge overnight. Coat in panko just before baking then bake and serve fresh. Leftover mushrooms can also be reheated in the oven at the same temperature for 5 - 10 minutes. Oil-free: to make oil-free omit the oil when sautéing the mushroom stems and onions and instead do a water or broth sauté. Make the homemade vegan cream cheese and omit the coconut oil. It will still hold up well.
Serving: 1stuffed mushroom (recipe makes 20 stuffed mushrooms) | Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 69mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.3mg