Easy TVP Tacos (vegan!)
Delicious, fast, easy, cheap, and vegan! Everything about these easy TVP tacos speaks to my soul. Just 15 minutes to whip up this amazingly delicious and meaty taco filling. Top with your favorite taco toppings for a super easy dinner or lunch. YUM!
Servings: (makes enough filling for 6 - 8 tacos)
For the TVP:
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic minced or pressed
- 1 1/4 cup(s) vegetable broth or vegan beefless broth
- 1 cup(s) dry TVP granules (textured vegetable protein)
- 2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1/8 - ¼ teaspoon(s) cayenne optional for spice
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt or to taste
For the tacos:
- 8 small flour or corn tortillas (gluten-free if preferred)
- Toppings of choice for TVP tacos: salsa, vegan sour cream, guacamole, vegan shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, chopped tomato, chopped onion, sliced avocado, or shredded lettuce
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or non-stick frying pan. When hot add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion turns translucent and just begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the vegetable broth, TVP, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetable broth has absorbed and the TVP is tender and chewy. If it gets a bit dry just add a splash more vegetable broth. Or if it is too wet continue to simmer a little longer until the vegetable broth is absorbed.
- Spoon into tortilla shells, and decorate with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Make-ahead: Allow the prepared TVP taco meat to cool then store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer. Oil-free: to make oil-free, simply omit the oil and do a water or broth sauté.
Serving: 1serving of TVP taco meat without tortillas or added toppings (recipe makes 8 servings) | Calories: 63kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 230mg | Potassium: 38mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 391IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg