Crispy Baked Tofu Fingers
I like marinating tofu strips in this delicious slightly sweet, mustard seasoning.. These can be whipped up quickly, but you can also store the fingers in the fridge in the marinade for up to 3 days for an extra flavorful finger. When you are ready to bake them, just coat the tofu in a panko crust, toss them in the oven, and you have tender-on-the-inside, crispy-on-the-outside tofu perfection. I love dipping mine into BBQ or ketchup.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon(s) agave or maple syrup
- 4 teaspoon(s) soy sauce (gltuen-free if preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 1 12oz block(s) extra-firm tofu pressed and cut into fingers (see step 1)
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) panko bread crumbs (gluten-free if preferred)
- BBQ sauce or ketchup for serving
- To prep the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 20 minutes to 1 hour. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and also will make the texture a bit chewier. Once the tofu is pressed, cut the block into finger-sized pieces.
- In a small casserole dish or sealable bag, mix together the water, nutritional yeast, mustard, maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder. Add in the tofu and toss to coat. Let marinate for 15–30 minutes, to suck up all of that deliciousness, or just pop it in the fridge to marinate longer (you can keep it in there for up to 3 days).
- When ready to cook the tofu finger you can either bake them air fry them.OVEN METHOD: Preheat your oven to 450F (230C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.AIR FRYER METHOD: Preheat your air fryer to 400F (200C).
- Put the flour and panko in separate bowls. Take a tofu strip and coat it in flour, shake off excess, then dip it back into the mustard marinade and toss to coat. Finally, coat it in the panko. Repeat with the remaining strips of tofu.
- OVEN METHOD: Place the tofu fingers on the prepared baking sheet as you coat them, Then bake for 15 minutes, turning them over halfway through until the panko coating is golden and crispy. Serve hot with BBQ sauce or ketchup.AIR FRYER METHOD: Lightly grease your air-fryer basket. Lay the tofu fingers in a single layer so that they aren't touching each other. You may need to work in batches. Air fry for 8 - 12 minutes until the panko coating is golden and crispy. Serve hot with BBQ sauce or ketchup.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 281mg | Potassium: 210mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 3mg
Did You Make This Recipe?Tag @easyveganmealplan on Instagram and Hashtag #easyveganmealplan