Creamy Cauliflower Soup
A velvety, light delight infused with subtle hints of cinnamon and cumin and garnished with a sprinkle of roasted almonds for added texture and flavor. Pair it with a crusty baguette or a garden salad for a lovely warming meal.
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 head(s) cauliflower roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 1 cup plant-based milk (such as oat or soy)
- 2 1/2 cup(s) vegetable broth divided
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt or to taste
- 1/3 cup(s) uncooked red lentils
- 1 handful(s) cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) roasted almonds roughly chopped, for garnish (sub pepitas or sunflower seeds for nut-free)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a high heat. Add the cauliflower and cook for 3-4 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Add the red pepper flakes, cinnamon, cumin, paprika and onion powder. Mix together and cook for a further minute. Now add the plant-based milk and half the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the cauliflower becomes tender.
- With a hand blender, blend the soup until it becomes smooth and creamy. Alternatively, carefully transfer to a standing blender and blend in batches so the blender doesn't erupt. Add the remaining vegetable broth, salt and red lentils. Continue to simmer for about 15 minutes with a lid on, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have cooked.
- Serve the soup garnished with fresh cilantro, roasted almonds, and an extra drizzle of olive oil if desired.
Oil-free: for oil-free, omit the oil and instead do a water or broth sauté.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.003g | Sodium: 1100mg | Potassium: 739mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 696IU | Vitamin C: 76mg | Calcium: 152mg | Iron: 3mg