Coconut Mushroom Stew
This curry-infused stew is easy to make and wonderful enjoyed with some vegan naan or a side of steamed rice.
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil
- 16 oz button or cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 teaspoon(s) fresh ginger minced or grated
- 3 clove(s) garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) curry powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 2/3 cup(s) uncooked red lentils (uncooked)
- 3 cup(s) water
- 2 cup(s) full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
- 4 handful(s) fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and onion, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes until the mushrooms and onions have softened.
- Add the ginger, garlic, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, and paprika, and cook for 1 minute more, until fragrant. Add the lentils and water and cook for 10 - 15 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- In a measuring glass or small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and cornstarch. Stir into the pot and cook for a few minutes more until it thickens slightly.
- Turn off the stove and stir in the spinach, add a squeeze of lemon and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with rice or quinoa, or a side of naan.
For oil-free: simply omit the oil and do a water or broth sauté.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 58mg | Potassium: 1160mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2881IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 8mg