Carrot and Parsnip Soup
This golden soup will warm you up on a chilly day. Serve with slices of a rustic bread or naan.
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 lbs carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 lbs parsnips peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon(s) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- ½ teaspoon(s) powdered ginger
- ½ teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 4 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1 cup(s) water
- 6 tablespoon(s) full-fat coconut milk or vegan culinary cream to serve
- 1 small handful fresh parsley chopped, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat, then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add in the carrots and parsnips and cook for a further 5 minutes. Next, add the garlic, turmeric, cumin, ginger and pepper and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the vegetable broth and water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until the parsnips and carrots are soft.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or transfer to a standing blender to blend until smooth and creamy. Be careful to not fill your blender up too high so that it doesn't erupt. Serve hot with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of parlsey on each bowl. Allow leftovers to cool and store covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Serving: 1serving (recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1039mg | Potassium: 918mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 19538IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 3mg