Banana Blueberry Whole Wheat Muffins
Love these muffins for a healthy snack! I like to make a batch, eat some while still warm, and then freeze the rest. Transfer a frozen muffin or two to the fridge or to a plate on the counter and allow to thaw overnight for fresh muffins in the morning.
Servings: 12 small muffins
- 2 tablespoon(s) ground chia or ground flax
- 1/4 cup(s) warm water
- 1 cup(s) plant-based milk (such as oat or soy)
- 1 teaspoon(s) apple cider vinegar (or sub lemon juice)
- 2 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- ½ cup(s) brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 4 medium bananas (very ripe), mashed
- ¼ cup(s) light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- ½ cup(s) blueberries (thawed if frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and line a 12 capacity muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mix the flax or chia with 1/4 cup warm water and set aside to thicken.
- Mix the plant-based milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside. It will likely curdle. This is how you make plant-based buttermilk :)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour in the flax or chia mixture, along with the plant-based buttermilk mixture, the mashed bananas, light oil, and vanilla extract. Mix together until just incorporated and then add in blueberries. Gently fold through the blueberries until just mixed. Do not over mix the muffin batter.
- Place ¼ cup of batter in each muffin liner. Once filled, place the tray in the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool on the wire rack.
Make-ahead/ freezer: Allow the muffins to cool the store covered at room temperature for up to 2 days, in the fridge for up to 4 days, or you can freeze them.
Serving: 1muffin (recipe makes 12 muffins) | Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 95mg | Potassium: 267mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 109IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 1mg