20 Minute Spinach & Chickpea Coconut Curry
Curries are the perfect dish for an easy, warm, super-satisfying, and hearty meal. This coconut red curry is so velvety and even a little spicy. Spoon it over rice, or serve with naan bread, so you can soak up all the sauce.
- 1 tablespoon(s) light oil (such as vegetable or coconut)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) Thai red curry paste (check to make sure it's vegan)
- 1 400ml can(s) full-fat coconut milk (1 2/3 cups)
- 1 19oz can(s) chickpeas (2 cups) drained and rinsed
- 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 3 handful(s) baby spinach
- Optional for Spinach & Chickpea Coconut Curry: rice or other grain for serving, naan bread, cilantro, lime wedges.
- Heat the oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, garlic, and ginger, and sauté until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Now stir in the curry paste and cook for another 20 seconds, until it becomes fragrant.
- Add in the coconut milk, chickpeas, and soy sauce and bring to a simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- In a small cup, mix together the cornstarch and water, then stir that into the curry. Cook for another 2 minutes or so to thicken the sauce a bit.
- Add in the spinach and stir until it wilts into the sauce. Spoon over rice, or into a bowl alongside some naan, and garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Curry Paste: If you prefer green or yellow curries, just sub the red curry paste for whichever you prefer, and the dish will work just the same. Oil-free: to make oil-free omit the oil and instead do a water or broth sauté. Soy-Free: for soy-free, substitute a soy sauce for a soy-free option such as coconut aminos.
Serving: 1serving without rice or naan(recipe makes 4 servings) | Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1162mg | Potassium: 622mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3312IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 6mg